Projects: Weyburn Labs
This is a record of past activity that should resume some day, probably when I have a house with a garage.
Chris Clark, [anonymous], and I are planning on working on a few projects while we're here at UCLA. Others are welcome to help and join in the fun! This page is meant to help us organize our plans and catalogue our progress.
We have begun acquiring equipment and are disassembling various appliances to harvest parts and investigate the workings of the appliances.
Possible Projects / Project Topics:
We're currently in the brainstorming (and acquiring) phase, thinking about which projects we'd like to do. Ideally, our major projects will relate with each other in some fashion. The smaller projects may just be random acts of technology. Here's a list of ideas:
- Tesla coil
- Plasma ball
- Marx generator
- Jacob's ladder
- Wimshurst generator
- Radio transmitter/receivers
- Walkie talkies
- Ring tosser
- Gauss rifle
- TV -> oscilloscope
- Electron gun
- Proton gun / Antiproton gun
- Neutron gun
- Plasma chamber
- Flourescent lights
- Lasers / Masers
- Laser lightshow with speakers
- Microwave gun
- Sterling engine
- Bell's theorem
- Spiderman (switchable) magnets
- Fuel cell (new type in paper)
- Infrared camera
- Coffee maker -> Nitric acid
Here are some links to help us become familiar with the risks and hazards that our equipment and projects pose:
- OSHA -> Non-Ionizing Radiation
- CDC -> NIOSH -> Occupational Safety and Health Topics -> EM Fields, Electrical Safety, Chemical Safety
- FCC -> Office of Engineering and Technology -> RF Safety
- American National Standard [pdf]: safety levels wrt human exposure to RF EM fields
- New Jersey Regulations - Nonionizing Radiation
We may need to purchase some special parts, so we may need these special sources:
- TRW swap meet: "always the last Saturday of every month rain or shine!"
- High Voltage: Ross Engineering Corp
- Surplus Sales
Otherwise, we may try trash rooms, junk yards, thrift stores, et cetera.