Computer: My Computer Setup
- Operating System: Kubuntu Linux (Ubuntu Linux with KDE)
- Desktop Environment: KDE
Internet Proxy Server Settings
UCLA subscribes to certain websites that have restricted access, like the online Oxford English Dictionary, so that when you are on campus computers you can have full access to these sites. If you are not using a campus computer, but you have a Bruin Online (BOL) account (i.e., a UCLA logon id and password), you can gain access to these sites using the BOL proxy server.
I use Linux with KDE, and to set up the proxy server I followed this procedure:
K-Menu -> Control Center -> Internet & Network -> Proxy, select "Use the following proxy configuration URL", and enter "http://proxy.ucla.edu/cgi/proxy" in the field.
Creating a UCLA Website
- Uploading - I use Kasablanca, with the following settings:
- Host:Port: webspace.bol.ucla.edu:21
- Username: (same as UCLA logon id)
- Password: (same as UCLA logon password)
- Encryption: Level 3
- Mode: Passive Mode